Friday, February 5, 2010

Learning from Latex

Yesterday I became constructing a prototype process model using liquid latex rubber to create a snug-fitting 'glove' as the base of the model. This material is commonly used to construct a mold of a model to be used for casting a resin or similar end product. It is durable, flexible, and easy to work with. I started by applying a thin layer over the area and allowing that to dry. I then repeated the layers until the form seemed thick enough. It seemed to be working as intended, however I ran into some complications when trying to remove the latex from my hand. Pulling it off seemed to stretch out the form, and it began sticking to itself on the inside. I have researched the solutions to the problems and plan on giving it another go later today. In the meantime, I am constructing a 3D model in Rhino of my device, so that if need be, I can 3D print it later this weekend or by Monday's class. Here are some photos of the latex after it has dried (though I later found out, a few more hours of drying would have been beneficial) while it was still on my hand.


As you can see, it conforms nicely to the shape of the hand, and after several layers, the outside has a nice, smooth even surface. I noticed that the tips of my fingers were not being coated as thoroughly as the rest of my hand. I have found some ways to prevent this. I think the result of my next attempt will turn out nicely.



No comments:

Post a Comment